November 21, 2017, 01:46:12 AM

Author Topic: Privacy  (Read 9491 times)

Offline Natja

• View Profile
    • A Polyglot
Re: Privacy
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2013, 08:54:49 PM »
Good luck to them, if you allow employers to have that much control of your lives where does it end?

N
x
Наталья

Offline Deorccwen

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • A PolyGlot
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2013, 01:33:46 PM »
But what can a person do when they have to support themselves - and maybe a family - and most (all) of the employers in their area have the same attitude?
For everything that lives is holy, life delights in life.
William Blake (1757 - 1827)

Offline beccablue

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2013, 01:51:29 PM »
Sad but true in this country especially.  :(  We are often forced in many ways to present a certain picture of our lives publically speaking that conform to the societal norms.

Offline Deorccwen

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • A PolyGlot
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2013, 02:53:28 PM »
The only way I can think of to get around it would be to own your own business.  But, aside from the fact that that is simply not often possible, I imagine you would *still* have to conform to social norms whenever you had a customer or client around, or risk losing business.   
For everything that lives is holy, life delights in life.
William Blake (1757 - 1827)

Offline beccablue

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2013, 02:47:50 PM »
I found this article that sort of demonstrates exactly the morality clause we were discussing. Of note is that she was fired after 19 years and clearly none of the students were very aware and if other staff were aware they certainly looked the other way -- all because a parent complained that it violated *their* view of morality and it got her fired.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/skarlan/high-school-fires-teacher-after-her-partners-name-appeared-i

Also note carefully the circumstances in *how* it was found out. How did they verify? Stalk her? Ask her directly about her sexual orientation? Or perhaps they didn't even bother, just dismissed her based on the obituary (which could have been a typo for all they knew legally speaking). It is really disturbing how little control we have over what others determine is moral or immoral.

~Becca

Offline Natja

• View Profile
    • A Polyglot
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2013, 05:17:16 PM »
My fb was abuzz with this news item. I am horrified and the idea that someone could use her mothers obit. And they claim that 'she' is immoral.
Наталья

Offline Administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poly Living
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2013, 06:28:16 PM »
It is horrifying, deeply so.  Becca, that was a great example.  Thank you!
Reaching others with the polymindset more and more everyday!

Facebook Comments