October 19, 2020, 10:20:28 PM

Author Topic: Compersion  (Read 5735 times)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poly Living
Compersion
« on: May 28, 2012, 04:03:09 PM »
Compersion is a state of empathetic happiness and joy experienced when an individual's current or former romantic partner experiences happiness and joy through an outside source, including, but not limited to, another romantic interest. In romantic relationships, jealousy refers to the negative thoughts and feelings of insecurity, fear, and/or anxiety over an anticipated loss of a partner or of that partner's attention

--http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compersion

What do you think?  Could compersion be the opposite of jealousy. I would say yes.  With compersion, a polyamorous person finds happiness and joy when their spice (other poly partners) have happiness with other partners.  Can jealousy still exit?  Of course, but not for the same reason.  If one is secure in their relationship, then the fear of loss would hopefully not exist.  You can be safe in the knowledge that no matter how many people your partner loves, you will not have to fear loss...you can practice compersion.

Do you practice compersion?  What do you think?

Admin

Offline beccablue

• View Profile
Re: Compersion
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 08:31:11 AM »
I love compersion! We practice it freely here. It does drastically reduce jealousies and the more you give it out, the more you generally receive back!

For example, I love knowing my husband is looking forward to spending time with one of his partners and the way he smiles when he speaks of various partners. It makes me feel happy to know that he has those connections. By the same token, I know that makes him understand and feel happy for me about spending time with my partners. He has taken to calling my partners my "boyfriend" and my "girlfriend" and does so with a smile and makes me blush a little. My happiness makes him even happier just as his happiness makes me happier. The more that expands the more secure we all feel.

Compersion is the gift that keeps on giving and rather than diminish, it only increases!

~Becca

Offline Administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poly Living
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 06:58:05 PM »
Strangely enough, compersion can also be arousing to some extent.  Any one else find this to be true?
Reaching others with the polymindset more and more everyday!

Offline beccablue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 08:44:24 PM »
Definitely true! Thus my post on "erotic compresion" because for me, I feel MORE secure when I know that my partners can give to each other freely. It removes some of the barriers that come in monogamy of feeling pressured to meet all of one person's needs and be "everything to that one person". It is freeing to know that with needs being met by several partners, we are free to just focus on what we have. No walking the tightrope. And in that process, we are able to nurture those happy love feelings which is not only emotionally stimulating, but leads to greater physical stimulation because we are able to feel emotionally safe and secure.

~Becca

Offline Administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poly Living
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 08:52:43 PM »
LOL.  I just finished reading on commenting on your erotic compersion post. 
Reaching others with the polymindset more and more everyday!

Facebook Comments