September 25, 2018, 11:32:38 PM

Author Topic: Polycules  (Read 33024 times)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poly Living
Polycules
« on: May 28, 2012, 04:57:23 PM »
When people practices polyamory, they create a new kind of relationship.  These relationships are dependent on the type of relationship they have formed.  Regardless of what type of relationship you form, they form a polycule. 

Polycule is a fairly new word.  It is the description of how a polyamorous relationships can be viewed if they are put into a picture form.  Let us look at some examples.

When you form a "V", you are forming a relationship that has a central pivot point.  Cleo, Betty, and Dorian are in a relationship.  Cleo and Dorian have a romantic relationship.  Cleo and Betty are also in a romantic relationship, but Betty and Dorian don't have a romantic relationship.  They may be friends, but they are not romantically involved.  The pivot point is Cleo.

In a triad, the three partners in the relationship may be romantically involved.  There is no pivot point.  Adrian, Diana and Karen are in a relationship.  All three are romantically involved. 

A quad involves four people.  All four people may be romantically involved.

All of these relationships can be in any combinations of males or females.  As you add more, the type of relationship can change as well depending on whether everyone is involved romantically or not.  All of these combinations fall under the title polycule.  The name plays off the image created when the relationships are visually linked.  Just as atoms create molecules, people create polycules.

The polycule created is unique to the people involved. 

*Thanks to Violet Michelle Smith for images and a great article concerning polycules. 
http://www.lifeontheswingset.com/8582/what-do-you-call-it-some-polyamory-network-terminology/

Admin

Offline beccablue

• View Profile
Re: Polycules
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 07:57:00 AM »
Glad to see the topic of polycules come up... I love the new terminology and heard the word myself a couple of months ago. I think it is appropriate to describe my particular circumstances. One of the things that is important to me in our current configuration is that even if I am not intimately partnered with a member of our group is that we have a close friendship. So far that is the case for each of us in our polycule. I liken it to a family tree where we are all related even if not directly. It is really quite a comforting thing to know that you have multiple people to turn to when needed, each in their own way.

~Becca

Offline Administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poly Living
Re: Polycules
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 03:34:33 PM »
I remember a few months back Antony and I had a discussion on what to call a relationship that looked like a V but was more of a W other than primary/secondary relationships.  A month or two ago a friend told Antony about this fairly new term of polycule, and it was as if light bulb went on inside of him.  For him, polycule made perfect sense, and it perfectly described other forms of polyamorous relationships. 
Reaching others with the polymindset more and more everyday!

Facebook Comments