August 16, 2018, 01:21:40 AM

Author Topic: Karaoke, singing, dancing, volunteering and earning a living!  (Read 3308 times)

Offline Bud

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
As many of you may (or may not) know, Dee & I are crazy for karaoke!  We love it so much that we got on the bandwagon 18+ years ago and have been doing it (karaoke) ever since.  We believe music is therapeutic and have most enjoyed our gigs as karaoke hosts volunteering in nursing homes and community mental health facilities.  We have done all kinds of gigs from weddings, birthdays, holiday cookouts, family gatherings, right down to bars everywhere we have lived.  We have met all kinds of wonderful people.  Being karaoke hosts, or KJ's, has been very fulfilling for us both. 

We are more about having fun and getting everyone involved, whether it be singing or dancing, than who sings the "best".  Dee has an excellent voice and knows how to interact with the crowd.  I am more "behind the scenes".....the set-up & technical guy.  We have found we work well as a team in anything we set out to do, and the same goes for hosting karaoke.  Dee is very creative and plays a game like the old "Let's Make A Deal".....it is hilarious some of the stuff she comes up with as prizes!  But there is always at least one "good" prize amongst the bunch.

Hosting karaoke has been a way for us to earn a living and pay the bills, entertain ourselves, friends and family.  I really love to sing but am not as capable in this area as others, so I don't sing in public until it's time to "encourage" others to sing.  Once they hear me croak out a song, EVERYONE gets over any fear or apprehension they might have had!  And I am equally lacking in my dancing skills, but that doesn't stop me from getting a line dance going or doing the hokey pokey or the chicken dance. 

As you might imagine, after 18 years of collecting karaoke songs, we have quite a large selection of songs....somewhere in the neighborhood of 60,000 songs, give or take a few thousand, considering there are repeats and different versions of the same song throughout our collection.  We are still "old school" and use karaoke disks, though we have the most updated karaoke disk player on the market.  It is called a CAVS and the CAVS disks can hold 800-1000 songs on a single disk!  We now have a small box we carry our disks in as opposed to 3 huge cases of disks we used to lug around.  So we are proud of our selection of songs which range from all genres, to different languages, children's songs, holiday songs, etc. 

I'm not much of a talker, but get me going on karaoke, music, singing, DJ/KJ-ing and I might not shut up!  Next time you get the urge to hit a karaoke bar or have a karaoke party, think of us and know we are there with you in heart and spirit!

There is a song in everyone & our job/joy is to bring it out for everyone to enjoy!

Best wishes to All!

Bud

Offline DeeDee

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
    • View Profile
    • Older and Weiser
Re: Karaoke, singing, dancing, volunteering and earning a living!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 05:50:22 PM »
I wanted to add that we went to a Hometown Idol Karoake Contest last week with Bud's first wife, K.  She was in the competition, and made it to the next round with a score of 23 out of 25! I like to sing, but I am not competitive about it(though I am fiercely competitive playing Scrabble online). I think karaoke is for everyone--a cathartic experience for some. I know I am a different person when I am hosting a show and behind the microphone. In fact, that is where my nickname--DeeDee--came from originally!

Are there any other karaoke junkies out there?

~D

Offline Administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poly Living
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 12:09:29 AM »
Sounds fun.
Reaching others with the polymindset more and more everyday!

Offline TamBabs

• I am not single.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 11:18:03 AM »
There are NO Karoke places near us at all. :(

We are very ecclectic in our tastes of music.

Gas loves Blues and Rock. My daughter has about 20GBs of just about every genre except Jazz. (I don`t know why she doesn`t have Jazz, not intentional, I am sure)

I have more easy-listening stuff, but it ranges from music in the 40`s and 50`s, classical, Jazz, soft Pop, soft Rock, Country. International including African, Celtic and Didgeridoo. North American Native. Folk.

Then there is the Disney songs and kids songs too!

Offline Natja

• View Profile
    • A Polyglot
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 11:47:46 AM »
I do enjoy singing but I have never tried Karoke, I would do for a laugh, I am not a good singer so would probably be better in a small environment like a party with family, than  a big club.

My girl used to have some sort of Karoke machine but she never was much interested in that sort of thing.
Наталья

Offline Administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poly Living
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 08:47:49 PM »
We Karaoke at home with the kids using the internet and our tv.  It's a lot of fun.
Reaching others with the polymindset more and more everyday!

Facebook Comments