September 26, 2018, 05:28:20 AM

Author Topic: What does it take?  (Read 2328 times)

Offline Administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poly Living
What does it take?
« on: November 10, 2012, 11:25:17 PM »

"Marriage does not guarantee that you'll be together forever. Its only a paper. It takes love, respect, trust, understanding, friendship & faith in your relationship to make it last. ♥"

I read this quote on the Facebook Page LoveQuotes.  What do you think?  Is this statement true?  Why or why not? Does this apply to all types of relationships?  Explain.
Reaching others with the polymindset more and more everyday!

Offline DeeDee

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
    • View Profile
    • Older and Weiser
Re: What does it take?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 12:56:40 AM »
I agree with the second half of the statement, but I do not agree that marriage is just a piece of paper. Marriage is defined by the second statement  "It takes love, respect, trust, understanding, friendship & faith in your relationship to make it last". The paper part is only a legal document.

Offline Natja

• View Profile
    • A Polyglot
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 09:18:02 AM »
I don't know, it seems a bit obvious to me, both in the UK and the US (maybe Tam can fill us in with Canadian stats?) the divorce rate is over 50%.  It is clear that people do not expect that marriage = longevity.  My grandparents (my grandmother and my mothers stepfather) were together 15 years before they tied the knot and that was only an imperative because they were immigrating (yeah she was still married to my bio grandfather!! my grandmother is wild!!  ;D)  They are still together today and I honestly feel they would be regardless of their marriage certificate.

And I agree with DeeDee somewhat in the idea that marriage is defined by those noble ideals, along with the expectation that you are now considered family, which you may not consider a more casual relationship of course.  The legal bit (which I have very well known problems with) IS separate, considering that many people want those legal benefits but it considering the taboo against divorce is so long gone, it is meaningless wrt longevity.

Natja
Наталья

Offline Administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poly Living
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 08:09:45 PM »
Interesting thoughts so far.  Anyone else willing to give it a shot?
Reaching others with the polymindset more and more everyday!