May 26, 2018, 06:34:02 PM

Author Topic: NORMAL family  (Read 2224 times)

Offline Administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poly Living
NORMAL family
« on: November 11, 2012, 12:23:38 AM »

This makes me laugh.  We find that being poly means that other people think of us as weird, strange, or abnormal.  We have tried to prove to others that we are a normal family by showing that we do normal family like things.  However, our family make-up, poly, is different to most people.  What do you think?
Reaching others with the polymindset more and more everyday!

Offline DeeDee

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
    • View Profile
    • Older and Weiser
Re: NORMAL family
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 01:06:35 AM »
Spot on. It is a matter of education, I believe. Most of our prejudices are formed in our youth, and it takes a lot to overcome them and look at things from a new perspective. Parent that inspire their children and expose their children to people of all walks of life are apt to see their children become adults who are accepting and tolerant of others.

Offline Administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poly Living
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 01:22:01 AM »
DeeDee,

You are right that it's a matter of education.  However, I would also add that even when many are educated and they see that we do normal family things, they still choose to hold to their former prejudice and paradigm about poly because we challenge their world view.  People do not like their world view to be challenged because it means they could be wrong. What do you believe?

Reaching others with the polymindset more and more everyday!

Offline DeeDee

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
    • View Profile
    • Older and Weiser
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 10:09:47 AM »
Again, I think education has a lot to do with it.  Poly may not be mainstream and very different, but a person who has been trained from a very early age not to pre-judge people and things we are not familiar with goes a long way. It may be surprising, unique, interesting--maybe even a little scary, but generally something they want to learn more about before making a personal judgement.

And then there are thoses rare gems who, despite an upbringing that did not encourage tolerance for those unlike us, are seeded with the gift of empathy and compassion and manage not to carry the prejudices they were taught by their elders as children.

The burden to teach now falls on us: we must help break down the barriers by being positive examples and role models of poly living.  No, we do not all practice poly the same way.  There is a broad spectrum of practices by those who define themselves poly. I think now that we are in the multi-media age, the walls may start to come down a bit. We  have more than the one-sided, sensationalized vision of what poly is that is painted by the networks. We have bloggers and boards and YouTube and a Twitter; we have Facebook and Kindle and Amazon; We have a thousand networks now, and my guess is there is more than a few who are more than willing to portray positive poly relationships.

Times are changing. This is an exciting time. Change takes time, but I think we will see poly finally recognized as a non-evil expression of love. Love, in the end, is love.

Facebook Comments