December 05, 2020, 08:29:05 PM

Author Topic: Season 4... Housing  (Read 6758 times)

Offline TamBabs

• I am not single.
    • View Profile
Season 4... Housing
« on: November 28, 2012, 01:37:37 PM »
1. Why didn't they buy an old apartment building and just do their own renovations? lol. A 4 storey walk-up with different wives on different floors... or depending on the size, a 2 storey walk-up with 2 wives per floor? And hey... if the building was big enough... they could even rent out some apartments, and live there for free!

2. Do you agree or disagree with the wives all having the same housing budget?

Personally, I don't agree.

It reminds me of when my older 2 children were young and wanted EXACTLY the same amount of juice, food, presents etc. As though if I gave a bit more to one, than I was "favoring" that one.

I resolved the kids issue by telling them if they wanted everything exact, then they would need to wear diapers like their brother. They'd all need to wear the large shirt and pants, since the small one wouldn't fit them. They'd need to drink out of baby bottles, until their brother could drink from a glass. They could only eat as much as their baby brother did, etc.

I helped them to realize that what one needed, they might not... so they each recieved EXACTLY what they needed. They are all loved the same, even if treated differently.

Am I off base here?

Offline Natja

• View Profile
    • A Polyglot
Re: Season 4... Housing
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 06:18:04 PM »
Hey Tam to answer 1/ Well I don't know, perhaps they don't want to live 'that' close to each other?  Or maybe they did not think of it or there just wasn't a propertly like that in the area  they want.  From what I recall, they were particular about the school district because they did not want any of the children to change schools again, so in a way that is a bit of a restriction.

2) This is quite complicated, I can understand why they are doing it like that, I can see everyone's point and do think it is valid, but to be honest I don't think I would necessarily do the same myself, I cannot imagine being able to justify the money myself.  I do really love big houses, I love the idea of entertaining too, but I really think that can be done in a three bedroom house. However, I feel that is me and my personal choice and I don't slate Meri for hers.  I suppose whatever way we look at it, there is a great deal of status when it comes to Property/Real Estate and on a superficial level size comes into, so I can understand why she might feel penalised by having a house which appears to be 'less than'. Those of us who are are blessed/cursed to live in large cities though know size isn't everything. When you see 2 bedroom apartments go for 1.1 million in the city, four times more than 3/4 bedroom houses with gardens in the suburbs, we know status and size are not always correlated.

My mad cap thought was why have four plots at all?  Considering Meri and Robyn's friendship, I would have had a nice duplex, perhaps a Bungalow on the downstairs and a nice stylish apartment on the upstairs?

Natja
x

Наталья

Offline TamBabs

• I am not single.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 10:34:15 AM »
Hi Natja;

Your "madcap thought" is something I considered after..lol. I could see having the 4th property... but making it more like a community hall... big kitchen and living area where they could all get together in one space, for Birthdays or other celebrations.

I was thinking more of jealousy. I'm not a material girl in the sense of "Status", I just like what I like (I LOVE my Gadgets!). It never entered my head that type of connotation. Thanks for helping me to see another perspective. I wasn't putting any of them down... I just couldn't understand it.

:D

Offline Natja

• View Profile
    • A Polyglot
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 01:41:58 PM »
Hi Natja;

Your "madcap thought" is something I considered after..lol. I could see having the 4th property... but making it more like a community hall... big kitchen and living area where they could all get together in one space, for Birthdays or other celebrations.

Good idea except.....I think the Browns are quite concerned with the idea of being mainstream....could you ever manage the ruckus if anyone referred to their cul d sac as a 'compound'?  :o
It only came to me because I recall one interviewer saying that to the Dargers once....and they live in ONE house!!!

I was thinking more of jealousy. I'm not a material girl in the sense of "Status", I just like what I like (I LOVE my Gadgets!). It never entered my head that type of connotation. Thanks for helping me to see another perspective. I wasn't putting any of them down... I just couldn't understand it.

:D

No worries.  You know I just think people should probably have their own allowance and then people can indulge in what they want how they want it.  Taking your example, I am not greatly into gadgets, I have a breadmaker which I use often but nothing else really, I don't even have a coffee maker any more.  So would I feel jealous if a sisterwife was brought a big sparkling microwave?  No, because I don't want one.  I, myself love experiences, I like to go to places and do things, so I always think people should think about what they are spending on things that perhaps others are not spending.  In the end it may all balance out.

Natja
 :)
Наталья

Offline Administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poly Living
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 09:09:28 PM »
I wonder what would happen if housing allowances were more based upon need: amount of children in family, etc, rather than total equality money wise?  How would that change the dynamic.  After all, it takes less money and space for one child than it does for say five.
Reaching others with the polymindset more and more everyday!

Offline Natja

• View Profile
    • A Polyglot
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 06:42:40 AM »
I feel if they are determined to have separate houses (which seems to be he case) than I think it is more fair to have money allocated on a need bases rather than equally.   I don't want to dump all on Meri because I understand how she feels and is somewhat in a similar position, having presently only one teenage daughter myself but it is just easier to illustrate it by using their situation.

So, say if all women have $400 each to spend on their families, Christine, Robyn and Janelle need to stretch this out to cover what they want and need and what their 16 children want.  Meri has to cover what she and Mariah need and she can afford more, better and more luxurious than the other wives, which can cause a lot of envy.

Now we have to question whether she gets that as some sort of recompense for not having the amount of children she would want?  I can't really answer that, but I suspect that is the case, whether Meri feels she should have the money to make up for that part of her missing or whether Kody feels like she should have that to make her feel better for not having lots of children I don't know? 

It reminds me of the Islamic rules of Polygamy which states, if that all wives must have equal.  And so, Kody is doing the right thing under Islamic law, if one wife gets a new car, all wives must get a new car, if Christine and Janelle get people carriers, so must Robyn and Meri, regardless of whether they need people carriers or not.

This is to stop envy between wives but relies on the idea of unlimited resources bestowed by the husband, in the strictest traditional sense.  In a modern situation such as the SW where money is pooled and some work and some do not.....well it is more complicated. 

Natja

Наталья

Offline Administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poly Living
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 08:32:05 PM »
I agree Natja.  Basing it on an equal amount rather than need seems almost unfair to me in that the ones with less children would have more money or room than the ones with less children.  The ones with less children would have more room and more spending money so to say.  This would almost seem more of an inequality to me.  What do you think?

Offline Natja

• View Profile
    • A Polyglot
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 05:17:15 AM »
Oh yes it is unfair, but it comes from lack of thinking in a way, I am using arbitrary amounts here of course, but it would be much better for the money to be allocated as a personal allowance for the wife, say $50 per wife, now they all are equal and have equal needs, whether that is to buy certain personal items, get their hair done or save up for some clothes, whatever.  Plus then an allowance for each child...in this way, each child has the same amount of money, of which the mother may choose to give a proportion of it over as 'pocket money' to the older kids and the rest would go towards clothing and other expenses. Rather than every wife getting a split equal amount.  Think of it this way, if they all had an equal $400 allowance, Mariah might be getting the brand new car and Aspyn might get a second hand bicycle, how is that ever fair? 

However, I do feel we are probably letting imaginations go wild on this, so far we really only know about the houses all being split equally four ways, they might dole out money a bit differently. My guess also is that they are paid separately by TLC and so, their situation is vastly different from how it was before 'Sisterwives' came along.

Natja
Наталья

Offline Administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poly Living
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 11:04:10 AM »
Exactly Natja. I concur.