March 23, 2019, 10:19:23 PM

Author Topic: Outing expectations  (Read 2745 times)

Offline Deorccwen

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • A PolyGlot
Outing expectations
« on: January 30, 2013, 09:19:55 AM »
An interesting poly problem for Dan Savage and his readers about how 'out' your metamours are to their families.  At what point is it pretty much obligatory?  The comments are well worth reading, especially as all three of the people in the relationship chime in to answer the commenters' observations.
http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2013/01/25/sl-letter-of-the-day-so-and-so
For everything that lives is holy, life delights in life.
William Blake (1757 - 1827)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Poly Living
Re: Outing expectations
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 06:03:37 PM »
Interesting article.  It does bring up a slew of topics.  So first question...what has been your expectation when coming out to your family?  Do you, dear Reader, think it will be positive or negative?

Our answer:

Mostly negative. I have two spice.  From our three separate families, we had some people who were positive and many negative.  Steadfast had all of her family reject her initially.  In fact we had a number of years of legal issues due to their interference.  Now only her brother really has anything to do with her and they do not discuss our family at all.  Jades family was mixed.  Some accepted us and then rejected us.  Now after 15 years, some of her family has resumed contact with us.  They don't agree with our life but they treat us well and don't discuss our life.  We have visited with them a few times recently.  My family (whom I had little contact with) was overall indifferent but accepting.  When my grandfather passed, my whole family was listed in the obit.  My own sister has been supportive.  Outside of family, many friends and acquaintances rejected us.  We have made friends since then but most of our original friends are gone.  We've had to start over.

Anyone else?

Offline Natja

• View Profile
    • A Polyglot
Re: Outing expectations
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 04:44:00 PM »
Interesting article.  It does bring up a slew of topics.  So first question...what has been your expectation when coming out to your family?  Do you, dear Reader, think it will be positive or negative?

Anyone else?

Thank goodness just about all my family know now and I am glad of it, it was a bit of a nightmare with my mum, she did not talk to me for a while but now she is back to her normal (bossy and annoying ;) ) self.  My grandmother, Aunt and Sister have all been supportive of me, I am so grateful to have such a loving family and I know other people have had a much more difficult time than I had.  I don't like having to hide much of who I am, I have to do it somewhat with my mother because she is so intolerant but it doesn't sit well with me, I prefer to be open about who I am and the life I lead.

Natja
Наталья

Facebook Comments